We are setting up MapGuide (AIMS) 2013 and TBVIEW as our intranet GIS system.
Our current solution is based on MapGuide 6 and TBWebframe.
In MapGuide 6 we have a map "template" containing all layers we provide. For a single project (we have roughly 30) we just take the template and remove all layers which are not required. The template map contains around 650 layers. I assume we will have more layers with Map/MapGuide as we will offer more display models to our users.
With Map 2013 we publish all required display model to MapGuide. A new map is merged with our template by exporting both as XML and copy/pasting the content. That works quite well. A bigger issue is setting up layer draw order.
Copying an XML fragment (<MapLayer>) at the right position is difficult with 600+ layers. Doing it with MapGuide Studio is not practical.
I have written a little tool which helps sorting layers and layer groups:
- export map as XML (Studio or MapAgent)
- load XML file into tool and create text file with all layers and groups (including current draw order)
- open text file in excel and sort layers/groups as required
- import layer into tool and apply to map - layers and groups get sorted accordingly
- import XML into MapGuide (MapAgent).
I have done a few tests and it seems to work reasonably well. If anyone is interested - drop me an email and I will send you the tool and source code.